Welcome to BKK MTU!
You are now working for a German company which also means that you have to take care of many things in Germany. This includes, and very importantly, health insurance for you and your family if necessary.
The German health insurance system is very complex and there is a lot to consider! That’s why my employees and I are here for you. BKK MTU is a health insurance for employees of MTU and Rolls Royce Power Systems. We will advise and support you in all matters of health insurance during your working hours, and we are happy to do this in English!
We look forward to see you.
I wish you a good start at MTU!
Executive BKK MTU
Working in Germany – Health insurance for foreign workers
Generally: an employee is socially insured in the country in which he or she works. The organisation of the German health insurance system is characterised by the dual system of income.
Download Fact Sheet on Health Insurance
Income < 5.212,50 €
Statutory health insurance
(gesetzliche Krankenversicherung – GKV)
- Principle of solidarity: every insured person pays the same percentage of his income as a premium
- BKK MTU: 16.2 % paid by the insured person (8.1 %) and the employer (8.1 %)
- Premiums are calculated up to the so-called “contribution ceiling” (2020: 4.687,50 Euro monthly)
- Family members without an own income are also covered free of charge and can access the same benefits as the members themselves
- Not permitted to make a profit
90 % of Germans are part of the statutory health insurance system.
Income > 5.212,50 €
You can choose between private health insurance or statutory health insurance
(private Krankenversicherung – PKV)
- You can be privately insured if the monthly gross income exceeds the income threshold for statutory insurance (2020: 5.212,50 Euro monthly)
- The fees of a private health insurance are calculated depending on your state of health, age and the insurance tariff. The private health insurance can even charge you a risk premium for your health or even deny to insure you
- The fees of a private health insurance is not regulated by the state
- Services can also be adapted for each policyholder individually, but for each person insured you have to pay a separate fee. The private health insurance does not insure you family just for one fee like in the statutory system
- The insured person first pay all treatment costs on it’s own and the insurance company will then reimburse the costs upon submission of the bill